Seniors SI is an Innoweave initiative in support of the ESDC New Horizons for Seniors Program (Pan-Canadian Stream).
Seniors SI is a new partnership with the Government of Canada to help communities across Canada generate, implement, and scale socially innovative community level approaches to reduce the social isolation of seniors. Specifically, it will help community organizations, local governments, and civil society work together to substantially improve population outcomes, including increased participation in activities and access to support and decreased rates of social isolation.
Download our presentation on Seniors SI here, see our Program FAQs here or view the recorded webinar below.
Seniors SI builds on Innoweave’s experience providing information, workshops and customized coaching to help community organizations develop and implement socially innovative approaches to address tough social challenges. In particular, Collective Impact resources will be used to help support population level change through the work or multiple partners in community. Individual projects will be supported through modules such as Impact & Strategic Clarity (including Performance Measurement) and Developmental Evaluation.
Seniors SI is designed to work in partnership with the federal New Horizons for Seniors Program (NHSP) and builds on the work of the National Seniors Council and its recent Report on the Social Isolation of Seniors 2013-2014. On March 27th, the Honourable Alice Wong, Minister of State (Seniors) announced the NHSP’s next Call for Proposals will open May 29, 2015. The Pan-Canadian stream will focus up to $21M on reducing social isolation for seniors and successful projects will be supported by Seniors SI.
See details of the New Horizons for Seniors Program (Pan-Canadian Stream) Call for Proposals here.
How will it work?
- In April and May, Seniors SI will hold engagement sessions in communities across Canada and online. These sessions will introduce Seniors SI and collective impact and will provide an opportunity for groups to engage with each other on innovative ways to reduce the social isolation of seniors. It is anticipated that each community will require multiple complementary projects to meaningfully reduce rates of social isolation of seniors.
- Following engagement sessions, Innoweave will work with groups in select communities to refine their community level approach to reduce seniors social isolation including individual social innovation projects. Specialized coaching resources will be available for support.
- Groups will need to develop an Impact Plan in order to apply. See how impact and project plans fit together here, and learn more about it in our FAQs. For information on available data regarding rates of seniors social isolation in different provinces, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Groups in communities that engage with Innoweave will be supported in their applications to the NHSP, and Innoweave will continue to work with applicants in select communities to strengthen their approaches after NHSP funding decisions have been made through ongoing coaching and workshops (e.g. on Developmental Evaluation) to enhance the implementation and evolution of their work.
- Innoweave will also work to share promising practices and support data collection and analysis on seniors social isolation throughout the project.
For more information, please contact email@example.com. New inquiries to the Seniors SI program will be accepted until June 26.
Seniors SI is supported in part by the Government of Canada's New Horizons for Seniors Program.